Braised Beef with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
If you're looking for a delicious, warm and hearty comfort food then this recipe will blow your mind away.
- Oven Proof Skillet/Pan
- Large Jug
- 1 kg Beef Schnitzels – Or your choice of beef eg. Beef Cheeks
- 3 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 1 Punnet Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Whole Large Onion – Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
- 1 Tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 3 Tbsp Mixed Italian Herbs
- 1 Tbsp Pepper Gravy Powder
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Stock Powder
- 1 Tbsp Gourmet Stock Powder – Vegeta Brand
- 1½ L Hot Water
- 300 ml Thickened Cream
- 1 Tbsp Corn Flour – Dissolved in ½ cup of cold water
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil – Extra Virgin
- Preheat oven to 150°C (302°F).
- Coat the beef pieces with the plain flour on all sides.
- Heat skillet or pan on medium heat and add olive oil.
- Sear the beef pieces on all sides for approximately 45 seconds a side. Then cover with foil and set aside.
- In the same skillet or pan add another tablespoon of olive oil along with the onions and garlic. Once the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant enough, add the sliced mushrooms and begin to sauteé.
- Add sprig of thyme and mustard then stir through.
- Return the resting beef back into the skillet making sure to coat it with the mixture being satueé'd.
- In a large jug add 1½ Litres of hot water along with the pepper gravy, Vegeta and chicken stock powders. Stir till dissolved and mixed together.
- Add the mixture from Step 8 into the skillet along with the other ingredients ensuring that the beef is well covered by the liquid powder mix. If it isn't enough just add a little more water.
- Add the rosemary and mixed Italian herbs to the fold. Stir and then cover the pan or skillet with foil tightly. Be sure not to burn your fingers!
- Place the pan or skillet into the preheated oven to allow to slow cook and braise. This could take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours. At the 2 hour mark check and be sure that the liquid hasn't evaporated. If it has, don't fret; add a little more water to balance it out. There is still some cooking to be done.
- At the 3 to 4 hour mark, remove skillet or pan from the oven and open to check on the beef tenderness. If it's fall off the bone style it's good to go.
- Remove the beef carefully and place into foil and put it aside. Leave the rest of the ingredients in the pan or skillet for the Mushroom Sauce.
- Move skillet or pan back onto stove top on a low heat.
- Add the dissolved corn flour and thickened cream to the pan or skillet and stir to help thicken. Once it has begun to simmer wait for it to reduce enough till it has become a gravy like consistency or it's at a slow boil.
- Once ready, use a ladle to pour the mushroom sauce over the beef on a plate and serve immediately.
Can be served along side Potato Mash, Steamed Rice or Roasted Vegetables.