French Styled Chicken
Succulent chicken inspired by the flavours of France. Bon Appétit.
- 20 g Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- ½ Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Pinch Salt – To Taste
- 2 tsp Olive Oil – Extra Virgin
- 1 Knob Unsalted Butter
- 4 Whole Chicken Thigh Cutlets
- 2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
- 1 Whole Brown Onion – Sliced
- 1 Handful Baby Mushrooms
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- ¼ Cup Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp White Sugar
- 3 Sticks Carrots – Cut Into Chunks
- 300 g Baby Red Potatoes – Halved
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme – Have Extra On Hand For Garnishing
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add flour and stir to create a paste. Cook for 1 min.
- Whisk in milk until the mixture forms a smooth and thick paste. Gradually add the stock, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and salt whilst whisking till smooth.
- Constantly whisk for 2 to 3 mins or until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 mins to cool.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (356°F) and prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in an oven proof skillet over a high heat on the stove. Add chicken and cook for 3 mins. Flip the chicken over and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. They will be further cooked later.
- Return the skillet to the stove, add garlic, onion and mushrooms. Cook whilst stirring for 2 mins. Add chicken stock and allow to simmer whilst stirring for 3 mins.
- Add in the chicken paste mixture, stock, mustard and sugar. Stir till the mustard has dissolved. Add carrot, potato, rosemary, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Return the chicken to the pan, cover, and transfer to oven. Bake for 30 to 40 mins.
- Remove lid and bake for a further 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is dark brown and cooked through.
- Rest for 5 mins.
- Sprinkle with thyme atop of the chicken and serve.