Do you have a beautifully healthy herb garden but do not know what else to do with your delicious herbs? Why not dry and store them for future kitchen endeavors?
There are two main methods for drying herbs.
- Air Drying
- Microwaving/Oven Drying
Following I will list the best herbs for each method.
- Wash and dry herbs whilst cutting away all the bad bits.
- Bunch up the herb you want to dry and tie the end with a piece of twine.
- Hang in a dark area or somewhere with no excessive sunlight.
Microwaving OR Oven Drying-
- Using a paper plate preferably, an ordinary plate will overheat, place it down and cover it with a paper towel and if you are doing this in the oven just lay them on a tray with baking paper.
- Separate the herb leaves then place them onto the paper towel.
- Place them into the microwave for two to three minutes or until they can easily be crushed with your hands.
- If in the oven also wait till the consistency is the same.
Due to the excessive oils in both mint and basil, they are both best done in a microwave. They tend to become moldy much quicker than the others. You can still air dry them; however, you must ensure that they hang in a dark area with no exposure to sunlight.
So never allow you delicious herbs to go to waste, be sure to always make the most of your herbs.