Middle Eastern Chicken And Rice
A fragrant Middle Eastern dish with depth.
Middle Eastern Rice
- 3 Cups Washed Rice – Of Your Choosing
- 2 tsp Mansaf Spices – Found At Your Local Middle Easter Grocer
- 1 Can Tomatoes – Chunks
- 1 Large Onion – Finely Diced
- 1 tsp Arabian Seven Spices
- 1 tsp Curry Powder – Mild
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 Cubes Chicken Stock Cubes
- ⅓ Cup Pine Nuts
- ½ Cup Almonds – Slivered And Halved
- 4 Whole Star Anise
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 3 Whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 1½ Kgs Chicken Breast – Whole
- 4 Whole Bay Leaves
- 2 Whole Onions – Quartered
- Salt And Pepper
- In a large stock pot place all the chicken broth ingredients and fill the pot with water until mostly full.
- Allow to cook and medium to low heat for approx 30mins or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked through shred with two forks and set aside. Strain the broth into a bowl using a strainer and discard all other ingredients and reserve the broth.
Middle Eastern Rice
- In a large pot, add a little olive oil and sauté the onions till soft and translucent.
- Add the can of tomatoes in and mix through with the onion.
- Add the washed rice and Rice ingredients and stir well.
- Pour in the Chicken broth amount you need for the cups of rice you are cooking and stir, bring to a boil and then cover on a low heat. Cook for approximately 15 mins or until the rice is cooked.
- Allow to rest off of the heat for 5 to 6 minutes whilst covered before serving.
- Heat frying pan with ghee or olive oil and add your pine nuts, just before they turn brown add the slivered almonds and cook till golden brown.
- In a serving dish layer the bottom with the Middle Eastern rice, then the cooked shredded chicken and topped with toasted nuts.
This dish is dynamic in that it has many things to accompany it. For some added depth it is best served with your choice of either chunked or shredded chicken breast and topped with a mild to medium heated salsa sauce. The salsa is also found on my blog under Marinades & Sauces. Enjoy!