Pho Inspired Soup
Unique And Full of Flavour
- 1 kg Chicken Breast/Whole Chicken – Quartered
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Whole Star Anise
- 4 Large Chicken Stock Cubes
- 2 Whole Cardamon Pods
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon
- 1 Stalk Spring Onion – Finely Sliced
- 1 Small Bunch Coriander – Chopped
- 1 Large Onion – Quartered
- 2 Large Onions – Thinly Sliced
- 1 Bag Bean Sprouts
- 1 Bunch Thai Basil
- Soy Sauce
- Lemon Wedges
- Chili Oil – Optional
- 2 Packs Asian Rice Noodles
- Fill a large pot with water and sprinkle salt. Place on a medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Once the water has come to a boil, lower the heat and place the chicken and quartered onion in the pot, allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, remove the chicken and place onto a dish to cool down.
- In a small frying pan, place the spices alone and stir until fragrant. Approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Once you have done this add them to the broth.
- Add in the stock cubes and onion slices and allow to simmer on low for 2 hours. *If you decided to use a whole chicken place the bones into the broth as well.
- In the mean time, slice the cooled down chicken into thin slices and set aside.
- Once the broth has finished simmering pour through a sieve and discard the leftover spice pieces and any chunky bits.
- Cook the noodles as per packet instructions.
- Mix through the chicken pieces and coriander through the broth.
- Layer a bowl with the cooked noodles and ladle some broth and chicken atop of it.
- Garnish with the Thai basil leaves, bean sprouts and finely sliced spring onion. Drizzle some soy sauce and a squeeze of lemon. *Add chili oil if you also wish.