Slow Cooked Beef Cheeks
Fall off the bone and tender beef cheeks cooked at a tortoise pace.
- 6 Whole Beef Cheeks
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 L Vegetable Stock
- 3 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Rosemary
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 5 Whole Bay Leaves
- 5 Cloves Garlic – Peeled
- 5 Sticks Carrots – Diced Into Chunks
- 3 Stalks Celery – Sliced
- 1 Stalk Leek – Thinly Sliced
- 2 Whole Large Onion – Diced
- 4 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Pinch Salt & Pepper – To Taste
- Season beef cheeks with salt and pepper before coating evenly with flour.
- Drizzle olive oil into skillet or dutch oven. Place cheeks into skillet or dutch oven, something oven proof is required. Seer beef cheeks on either side till caramelized.
- Cover beef cheeks with foil and set aside for now.
- In the same skillet add more oil and then add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic and leek. Allow them to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste, herbs and then followed by the stock and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return the beef cheeks into the skillet, allowing them to simmer for 5 minutes and then cover and place into the oven on 150°C (302°F) for approximately 2 hrs. (Check on the consistency of the beef cheeks every 30-40 mins, by using a fork to test the tenderness of the beef cheeks against the bone).
- Remove the beef cheeks and place onto serving dish. Place the skillet back onto the stove and allow the remaining sauce to thicken.
- Pour over the beef cheeks and enjoy.